CHUCK D ON AFRICAN HIP HOP
Chuck D is an icon of conscious hip hop and a true music revolutionary. Public Enemy workshop at Red Bull Studios in Cape Town. Chuck D spoke for 2 hours on the state of hip hop and global music culture. He also spoke extensively on the future of (South) African hip hop.
Chuck D spoke at great length, and in great detail on the music industry and left us with some advice. This is what he had to say:
02. SA needs an infrastructure that supports local hip hop (DJs / radio / media / blogs)
03. Don’t let corporations (like MTV or Metro FM) dictate your musical / cultural agenda
04. Be accountable for the music you make – words are powerful and have consequences
05. Africa can be a global hip hop powerhouse if it chooses to be. Believe!
06. Embrace indigenous languages – that’s what makes us unique in the world
07. Focus on your live performance – your live show must kick your video’s ass
08. Groups or movements are more powerful than a single person. Be a team. Up your game!
09. Build strong networks in SA, and throughout Africa. Connect the continent
10. Confront difficult issues of race and inequality in South Africa – these are stories people need to hear
REPOST: PIONEER UNIT